Re: Proposal for Keyboard Shortcuts for HTML5

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:24:19 +0200, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Interesting. So there are few exceptions. I would like to see navigation
> by role like access (when this makes it in).
>
> You could place an optional key assignment here like access and eliminate
> accesskey altogether.

Doing this would only work if you really have roles for everything. Given
that the current move is away from having namespacing in the roles, based
on the assertion that implementors will actually hardcode things rather
than build an extensible mechnism, that might not be the obvious way to go
about it.

I agree that accesskey is inferior to most other ways of describing what
something does and letting the system give it the default shortcut. But I
am sure I can keep coming up with new things a widget will do faster than
you can standardise and get implemented every kind of role - so having
accesskey as a backstop that lets an author give a hint about what is
meaningful would actually be valuable (plus it reminds more authors to
think of keyboard access in the first place, with a bit of luck).

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com   http://snapshot.opera.com - Kestrel (9.5α1)