Re: New elements vs. Trident

Dean Edwards wrote:

> Dão Gottwald wrote:
>> Dean Edwards wrote:
>>> html\:newelement {
>>>  /* some style */
>>> }
>>
>> IE doesn't handle XHTML, so I suppose you mean good old HTML with
>> pseudo-namespaces?
>
> Yes.
>
>>> Cross-browser styling looks like this:
>>>
>>> html\:newelement, newelement {
>>>  /* some style */
>>> }
>>
>> The first selector should match in any browser in HTML mode, the
>> second selector should match in any browser in XML mode if html is the
>> default namespace in that CSS file ... so what are we talking about?
>>

> We are talking about ways to get IE to style unrecognised elements for
> graceful degradation. See the beginning of this thread.

I was asking another question. Are we talking about an XML content-type
for all browsers (obviously not the case because of IE), text/html for
all browsers (where would the |newelement| selector match, then?) or a
content-type mix depending on the browser? The latter seems to be the
only thing that makes sense to me, but would also be a deal breaker, as
many authors can't control the content type header.