Re: HDP: Revised "Support Existing Content" Principle

Hi Gregory,

On Sep 13, 2007, at 6:05 PM, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> aloha, maciej!
>
> thanks for your work in updating the HDP draft; there is, however,
> one point i did want to raise, however, which i didn't hear
> explicitly addressed in your post or the draft -- i still think
> the "support existing content" principle needs verbiage, to the
> effect that:
>
>  "Browsers should retain support for residual/legacy markup
>  designed for a specific purpose, such as accessibility.
>  internationalization or device independence. Simply because
>  new technologies and superior mechanisms have been identified,
>  not all of them have been implemented. Moreover, disabled
>  users are more likely to be users of "legacy technology"
>  because it is the only technology that interacts correctly
>  with third-party assistive technologies."

Thanks for the feedback. I think it would be better to address the
requirements for these specific purposes in the design principles
dedicated to them. There are already dedicated principles for
accessibility, internationalization and device independence. I intend
to revise them to make clear how they apply to both implementation and
authoring requirements.

I'd like to keep this particular principle focused on supporting
features and behaviors based on their use, rather than their purpose,
and cover particular purposes separately.

I'd appreciate it if you could wait and see if the revised versions of
the other principles address your concerns. I think it is likely that
they will. Does that sound ok to you?

Regards,
Maciej