Re: Web Forms 2 input type=email (was Re: autosubmit)

Hello Maurice!

Le Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:41:34 +0300, Maurice Carey
<maurice@thymeonline.com> a écrit:

> On 9/12/07 12:36 PM, "Mihai Sucan" <mihai.sucan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hopefully some suggestions will still be taken into consideration. Like
>> ... input type=emails (because input type=email is too useless, *cough*
>> too ... limited). :)
>
> Why do you say that?

I want suggestions to be taken into consideration for HTML 5 spec, even if
WF2 will be folded into the spec. WF2 can stay the same, but it's not
perfect and making improvements to it within the HTML 5 spec seems to be a
really good opportunity. It's "natural" to start the work from WF2 in HTML
5, but that shouldn't stop just at folding the spec in.

As for the input type=email: I believe it has a very limited set of
use-cases. The best place where web developers could have benefited from
the usage of input type=email was omitted: web mail clients. Now we are
stuck with a simple input type=email which is only usable in simple
contact forms, where the author has a single "from email address" field.
Another simple use-case is for newsletter/mailing-list subscription forms.
This issue has been previously discussed on the WHATWG list, however I
maintain my stance. [1] [2]

[1]
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2007-January/008986.html
[2]