Re: autosubmit

Le Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:05:38 +0300, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> a
écrit:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:00:25 +0200, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hmm... but then the autosubmit attribute makes sense to be available on
>> select elements as well, and forms too.
>
> Really? Do you have some use cases or maybe sample code to demonstrate?
> I can't really imagine how it would be useful or used for <select> and
> <form>.

For selects, the use-case is obvious: just like you provided the example
with <select onchange="this.form.submit()">. Why not <select autosubmit>?
<menu> shouldn't be *the* only way to obtain the desired autosubmit
behaviour.

As for <form autosubmit>: this would be a more general approach. One
example that came into my mind are surveys found in virtual learning
environments:

- teachers can prepare surveys/tests (whatever you want to call them)
which students can take whenever they want. Teachers are provided with the
option to show one question per page, or show all the questions on a
single page. For the former, when only one answer is possible (input
type=radio), autosubmit can be used.

However, autosubmit for forms would need a different definition, taking
into consideration a lot more things than a simple onchange. Form-wide
autosubmit needs to take into consideration form values validity, input
field requirements, and most likely more things.

Mentioning virtual learning environments reminds me of another
functionality: automatic form submission based on a timer. Form-wide
autosubmit could also provide a way to automatically submit forms at a
specific time (after 5 minutes, or at a specific date).

>> However, this part of the spec is not yet written (it's pointing to
>> WF2).
>
> Yeah, but it's expected that Web Forms 2 is more or less folded in
> (pending requirements set forth by the Forms TF).

Hopefully some suggestions will still be taken into consideration. Like
... input type=emails (because input type=email is too useless, *cough*
too ... limited). :)

Ahem.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro