Re: autosubmit (was: Re: Detailed review of 3.18.3. The command and 3.18.4. the menu elements)

Hello Anne!

Le Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:39:27 +0300, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> a
écrit:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:28:36 +0200, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2. I'd like to better understand the autosubmit attribute, defined for
>> the menu element.
>>
>> Why was it defined? What are the use-cases for having a menu which
>> automatically submits the form when the user changes input
>> type=checkbox|radio?
>>
>> I can't put into doubt the addition of the attribute - it's definitely
>> there for a reason. I'm just curious what's the idea behind it?
>>
>> Why have the autosubmit attribute on menu elements, instead of, say,
>> form elements? I would find the autosubmit attribute more appropriate
>> for form elements.
>
> It's there to replace the current <select onchange=location=this.value>
> (or something in that direction) hacks found on the internet. Making
> this declaritive allows more user control (like with autofocus) and
> using <menu> for such constructs seems more appropriate too.

Ah, I forgot about that use-case. Thanks.

Hmm... but then the autosubmit attribute makes sense to be available on
select elements as well, and forms too. However, this part of the spec is
not yet written (it's pointing to WF2).

--
http://www.robodesign.ro