Re: headers= and rowgroup

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:53:25 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
wrote:
>> but it seems HTML4 suggests "a" and "c" (if you simply follow the
>> algorithm in 11.4.1).
>
> For this e-maail, I'll guess that what makes you read HTML4 that way, is
> this sentence: «You should use the TD element for such cells together
> with the id or scope attributes as appropriate.»  Right?

No, just the intersection of bullet point one and two.

> Both for rowgroup and colgroup one could get the thought that it is
> unclear whether «the rest of» is to be taken vertically or horisontally.
> But a symmetric reading would suggest that row and rowgroup stretches
> the same horisontal direction, and that col and colgroup stretches the
> same vertical direction.

rowgroup simply stretches both horizontally and vertically.

> Furthermore, not only <tbody> is a rowgroup, but also <thead> and
> <tfoot>. And what, if "rowgroup" was to be read like you said, what
> should the point of having scope="rowgroup" inside the <thead> be?
> Should it be to forbid that the header cells in <thead> was propagated
> as headers for the rest of the table?

I'm not sure what the meaning of many features in HTML4 is when used in
non-typical ways. The specification is not really useful.

>>> Perhaps you could have used scope="colgroup" though: «colgroup: The
>>> header cell provides header information for the rest of the column
>>> group that contains it.»
>>
>> There's no <colgroup> in the table. (And therefore no column group.)
>
> Oops. Be aware of traps! :-)

Oh, ok, fair enough. Seems that HTML5 is not compatible with HTML4 here
then. Anyway, colgroup would not do any good as it spans too much cells.
rowgroup simply works. Or maybe omitting scope= altogether depending on
how you interpret HTML4.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>