headers= and rowgroup (was: Re: Data Table Collections (Research))

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:46:43 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
wrote:
> 2007-09-09 12:43:34 +0200 "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>:
>> Sun, 09 Sep 2007 05:34:50 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>
>
> [ .. augmentative ... ]
>> Another problem, which I think can only be worked around with headers=""
>> (given that headers is not augmentative, I'm not sure about that) is
>> that
>
> What do you mean by «augmentative» - some kind of inheritance of the
> @HEADERS value? As far as the algorithm is concerned, @HEADERS tells
> exactly who the header cells of a particular cell are: The algorithm
> stops when a headers cell with @headers is found.

    <th id=foo>a<td>b
    <th scope=row>c<td headers=foo>d

Is "d" associated solely with "a" or also with "c"? I think my personal
preference would go out to just "a" so you have full control over edge
cases, but it seems HTML4 suggests "a" and "c" (if you simply follow the
algorithm in 11.4.1).

> [ ... rowgroup => colgroup + col ... ]
>> the rowgroup headers should not get the col headers. "Location" etc.
>> is  not an appropriate header for "Day 1 ..." etc.
>
> As told in the other message, scope="rowgroup" seems here to used
> wrongly.

Why? HTML4 says: "rowgroup: The header cell provides header information
for the rest of the row group that contains it." The header cell is within
a <tbody> which represents a row group so the header cell prevents the
header information for the other cells in that <tbody>. Seems pretty clear
to me.

> It must be broadcast the header-cell-presence from left-to-right - it
> cannot do it from top-to-bottom.

This is not said anywhere as far as I can tell.

> Perhaps you could have used scope="colgroup" though: «colgroup: The
> header cell provides header information for the rest of the column group
> that contains it.»

There's no <colgroup> in the table. (And therefore no column group.)

(The references to "the table" (and similar references) are about my
http://annevankesteren.nl/2007/09/tmb-overview blogpost.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>