Re: [HDP] Other comments from RI

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2007, at 19:01, Richard Ishida wrote:

>> A better sentence may be "Directional markup is useful because it
>> applies to many right to left scripts, even though content in some
>> scripts has no need of it."
>
> The <i> example was inserted deliberately to avoid the use of the
> principle against <i>, which would be an easily foreseeable
> misapplication of the principle if the example was left out.

No, it would be an easily forseeable /application/ of the
principle.

> (I
> suggested the example, so I know why it was meant for. :-) The
> directionality example is reasonable, but it fails to pre-empt
> misapplication against <i>.

Absolutely no comment needed.

>> Certainly we should continue to support <b> and <i> tags, but we
>> should encourage people to use <em> and <strong> instead.
>
> Merely renaming things and continuing to use them as before does not
> really solve anything technical.

Henri, you completely miss the point : RI is proposing that users
create <em> and <strong> elements for /emphasised/ and for
/strongly emphasised/ stretches of text respectively.  To
confuse (or conflate) this with elements denoting the intended
typographic appearance of a particular stretch of text suggest
such a basic lack of familiarity of the precepts of document markup
that I find it difficult to believe that you are even suggesting
that there could be any overlap between the two.

Philip TAYLOR