Re: The script language attribute

Philip Taylor wrote:
> So, the only ones in common between all browsers are "JavaScript",
> "JavaScript1.1", "JavaScript1.2", "JavaScript1.3". Hopefully that
> corresponds with the values that people are using in practice, but it
> may be good to test that.

I had a quick look at 16K of the pages from dmoz.org, with results at
http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/misc/stats/scripts2.html - that
indicates that the most popular script@language values are:

   "javascript"
   [missing attribute]
   "javascript1.2"
   "javascript1.1"
   "javascript1.3"

and the most popular script@type values are:

   "text/javascript"
   [missing attribute]

and all the rest are relatively insignificant (less than 0.2% of these
pages, and less than VBScript).

Given that data, to help new UA developers to support existing content,
I believe it would be good for the spec to say that
language="javascript1.(1|2|3)" must be treated the same as
language="javascript".

--
Philip Taylor
philip@zaynar.demon.co.uk