>From the general point of view I assume there is a group of features required by both a screen-reader and a mobile browser that is usually operated by means of the 5/6-key-navigation. Focus management [1] is one of those and may need more attention.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#focus

Kind regards,
Marcin

Marcin Hanclik  |  Department Manager
Product Development
Access Systems Europe GmbH
Tel: +49-208-8290-6452  |  Fax: +49-208-8290-6465
Mobile: +49-163-8290-646
E-Mail: marcin.hanclik@access-company.com

-----Original Message-----
From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Maciej Stachowiak
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 7:04 AM
To: Charles McCathieNevile
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Screen-reader behaviour

On Sep 2, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> cc- wai-xtech. They know this stuff.
>
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 18:27:42 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> At 10:48 -0400 UTC, on 2007-09-02, Al Gilman wrote:
>>> To: public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

>>> I seriously doubt it.
>>
>> Why? Why would a HTML UA be unwilling to contribute to HTML5?
>
> Because is it expensive (very expensive to try and deal with this
> group - I know of several HTML UAs where nobody is interested in
> participating. How many of the major phone browsers are represented
> here?

At least Opera Mini, Safari, Opera Mobile, Pocket IE, S60 Browser.

Blazer and NetFront are not represented. I don;t know what other major
phone browsers there are. <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qpr
id=6> does not indicate any obvious other choices.

>>> I'm sorry, the accessibility APIs are practice
>>
>> Sure, but what does authoring HTML (with universality and
>> accessibility in mind) have to do with OSs' accessibility APIs?
>> We're trying to
>> improve HTML such that it becomes easier and more attractive to
>> authors
>> to produce content that provides universality and accessibility.
>
> In the real world, the way to present information to assistive
> technology is via OS accessibility APIs. An HTML list, or checkbox,
> is related to the OS' notion of a checkbox so the AT can figure out
> what to do with it. Some ATs have special handling for Web browsers,
> but this makes them much more expensive to produce and maintain, and
> less likely to be overall compatible with browsers, instead relating
> to one or two specifically.

I don't know of any screen reader that doesn't special case the
browser to some extent.

Regards,
Maciej