Re: Web Forms 2 reviews - which version of WF2?

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/web-forms-2
> [2] http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html
>
> i only just discovered the second version during the IRC aftermatn of
> the HTML WG teleconference -- my question to the chairs, and editors
> is, which draft should be the basis of WF2 review and the basis of the
> joint task force's work? ...
>
> my review of WF2 has been based on the version submitted to and accepted
> by the W3C -- if we are to work off a different draft, that draft should
> at least be pushed to HTML WG space, as the editor's draft of HTML5 is
> pushed to: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/, if not to TR space...

Most of the changes between those 2 versions of Web Forms 2 were minor
editorial changes.  Only a few were significant.  For your convenience,
I have included a list of the significant changes below.

On public-forms-tf, you wrote: [1]
> what precisely does the phrase "occasionally submitted to the W3C CVS"
> actually mean?  the latest editor's draft of a W3C submission should
> not be housed outside of W3C space, nor should it continued to be
> developed outside of W3C once submitted to the W3C, without it being
> formally resubmitted

Just like the HTML5 draft, Web Forms 2 has been and will continue to be
jointly developed by the WHATWG and W3C.  Both the WHATWG version and
the W3C CVS version have been kept synchronised.  No changes have been
made to Web Forms 2 since October 2006 because it was considered feature
complete and Hixie has been focussing on the HTML5 draft.

The following is the list of significant changes between revision 1.14
and 1.23 in CVS below.

2.14. Extensions to the textarea element
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#extensions1

* Minor change to the 2nd last paragraph
* Added this note to the end about the accept attribute.

   Note: The accept attribute on textarea elements is separate from the
   accept attribute on file upload controls defined in the next section.

3.1.5. Small example for non-XHTML documents
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#small

* Added this new small section with a single SVG example.

3.2.2. Repetition blocks
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#repetition0

* Rephrased the second paragraph
* and added the following two paragraphs to this section:

   If the document contains an element with an ID equal to the value of
   the repeat-template attribute, and that element is a repetition
   template, then that is the template that the repetition block is
   associated with. (In the case of duplicate IDs, the behaviour should
   be the same as with getElementById().) Otherwise, if the
   repeat-template attribute does not point to a repetition template,
   then the element is not associated with a template.

   The repetition template doesn't have to be a sibling of the repetition
   block, but when it is not, the block will not be listed in the
   template's repetitionBlocks list.

3.4. The repeat-min and repeat-max attributes
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#the-repeat-min

* Added this paragraph:

   The namespace that the user agent must look in to find the repeat-min
   and repeat-max attributes depends on the element on which they might
   be found. If the element is in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
   namespace then the user agent must only look for such attributes
   amongst the attribute that have no namespace; otherwise, the element
   is not in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace and the user
   agent must only look for such attributes amongst the attributes that
   are in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace.

3.6.1. Addition
3.6.2. Removal
3.6.3. Movement of repetition blocks
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#addition
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#removal
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#movement

* In these 3 sections, slightly modified the algorithms in these
sections to remove the occurrences of the XML events namespace.

3.6.4. Initial repetition blocks
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#initial

* Added this paragraph:

   If the element is in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace, then
   the user agent must use the repeat-start attribute in no namespace.
   Otherwise, the element is not in the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml
   namespace and the user agent must use the repeat-start attribute in
   the http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace.

4. The forms event model
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#forms-events-model

* Replaced all occurrences of the XML events namesapce with "no namespace".

7.9. Additions specific to the HTMLInputElement interface
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#additions2

* Added text to specify requirements for how to set the valueAsDate and
valueAsNumber attributes.

7.13. Repetition interfaces
http://dev.w3.org/html5/web-forms-2/Overview.html#repetition1

* Rephrased the following two paragraphs:

   Setting repetitionType modifies the repeat attribute. Exactly which
   attribute on the element is treated as being "the repeat attribute"
   depends on the element node's namespace; if the element is in the
   http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace then "the repeat attribute" is
   the repeat attribute with no namespace, otherwise, "the repeat
   attribute" is in the repeat attribute in the
   http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml namespace. If repetitionType is set to
   REPETITION_NONE, the attribute is removed. If it is set to
   REPETITION_TEMPLATE, the attribute is set to "template". If
   repetitionType is set to REPETITION_BLOCK, the repeat content
   attribute is set to the value of the repetitionIndex DOM attribute.
   If it is set to any other value, it must raise a NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR
   DOM exception.

   The repetitionBlocks attribute is null unless the element is a
   repetition template, in which case it points to a list of elements
   (an HTMLCollection, although the name of that interface is a misnomer
   since there is nothing HTML-specific about it). The list consists of
   all the repetition blocks that are siblings of this element and have
   this element as their template. The list is live.

* Added the following paragraph:

   The addRepetitionBlock() and addRepetitionBlockByIndex() methods take
   a Node as their first argument. That is the node after which the new
   repetition block will be inserted. If the argument is null, the
   repetition block is inserted at the end of the list of repetition
   blocks.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms-tf/2007Sep/0000.html

--
Lachlan Hunt