Re: Spec review: "URI (or IRI)"

Robert Burns wrote:
> I wonder if we shouldn't be more specific and use the locator term when
> it applies. I'm not sure if any RFC deals with this, but many of the
> attributes that take IRIs in HTML5 really only take locators and not the
> broader identifier (is there an RFC on IRLs?).  If an attribute is going
> to take IRI as its data type, then I think we should clearly define what
> it means when the IRI is not a locator. For example, the proposal I made
> on associating attributions, citations, and references, where I defined
> how URNs (or would it be IRNs?) would be used[1].
>
> So I think there are two axes to deal with: 1) ASCII  v Unicode and 2)
> Locator and Name versus Identifier.

Not sure. URLs can be used as names, when chosen carefully (namespace
names come to mind). URNs can be used as locators, if people choose to
define and implement a protocol. (See also
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-1.1.3>).

Can you elaborate where the distinction is meaningful in the context of
HTML?

Best regards, Julian