Re: Author-friendlier definition of <object> (was Re: fear of "invisible metadata")

On 28 Jun 2007, at 0354, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 14:40 +0300 UTC, on 2007-06-27, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> On Jun 27, 2007, at 14:28, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>>
>>> Understood by whom? From reading the definition of "browsing
>>> context" it
>>> isn't clear to *me* exactly how it differs from "web page". If they
>>> are
>>> different, maybe "web page" needs to be defined as well.
>>
>> Different Web pages can be loaded into one browser context one after
>> another over time. It says so in the next paragraph after the term
>> definition.
>
> For the life of me I cannot find that.

4.1. Browsing contexts

A browsing context is a collection of one or more Document objects,
and one or more views.

At any one time, one of the Documents in a browsing context is the
active document. The collection of Documents is the browsing
context's session history.

A view is a user agent interface tied to a particular media used for
the presentation of Document objects in some media. A view may be
interactive. Each view is represented by an AbstractView object. Each
view belongs to a browsing context. [DOM2VIEWS]

Note: A typical Web browser has one obvious view per browsing
context: the browser's window (screen media). If a page is printed,
however, a second view becomes evident, that of the print media. The
two views always share the same underlying Document, but they have a
different presentation of that document. A speech browser also
establishes a browsing context, one with a view in the speech media.

4.1.1. Nested browsing contexts

Certain elements (for example, iframe elements) can instantiate
further browsing contexts. These are called nested browsing contexts.
If a browsing context P has an element in one of its Documents D that
nests another browsing context C inside it, then P is said to be the
parent browsing context of C, C is said to be a child browsing
context of P, and C is said to be nested through D.

hth,
scott.