Re: [whatwg] Entity parsing [trema/diaeresis vs umlaut]

[Please quote what you're answering to; I did some edits but it might
not be accurate]

2007/6/27, Křištof Želechovski:

> From: Oistein E. Andersen [mailto:html5@xn--istein-9xa.com]
> >
> > Microsoft did not dare to risk this, so entities beyond latin-1 require
> > a semicolon in IE, even in cases where it is optional according
> > to SGML (and therefore will pass HTML 4.01 validation, I might add).
>
> How does it influence the case flanc&eacutee vs &oeliguvre?  The only
> difference is that the first one is used in English.

œ (U+009C) is not latin-1 (it's in Windows-1252 though, at #156), it's
in the "latin-1 supplement" block in Unicode.

--
Thomas Broyer