Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> <object data="foo.mpeg" alt="A kitten playing with yarn."></object>
> <object data="foo.mpeg">A kitten playing with yarn.</object>
>
> Doesn't look abbreviated to me.

I might be wrong here, but I suspect you created your example so that
their would be no difference between the @alt content and the
fallback content. While that's a nice example, my point was that we
might want to think through whether that is always the case (in which
case @alt is not needed on the modern elements) or whether we need to
provide different mechanisms for these (possibly) different semantics
(@alt as an abbreviated alternate to non-text media and fallback for
non-text media).

Take care,
Rob