Re: The point of XHTML 2

Hi Chaals,

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:10 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> No. There are people who implement XHTML 2 stuff already. It is
> just that there is almost none of it on the open web, and there are
> difficulties in implementing the two side by side, so there is not
> much obvious motivation for a major browser vendor to implement
> XHTML 2. (In practice one of the goals of XHTML 2 is to use more
> generic XML technology. For example many of the important features
> of XHTML 2 already work in Opera, although not all of it - most
> notably we do not implement Xforms so you need to use an extension
> if you rely on it).

I was wondering if you could say more about this: especially in light
of some of the discussion of backwards compatibility for both XHTML2
and HTML5. Are there particular issues one confronts in serving
XHTML2 to Opera? What about if the XHTML2 contains no XForms portions
of XHTML2? Is there an XForms extension for Opera (I'm aware of one
for Firefox)? Mostly curious. However, this seems relevant to trying
to understand and explain issues of backwards compatibility that
relate to HTML5 in contrast to XHTML2.

Take care,
Rob