Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

On 6/23/07 9:43 AM, "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, let's nip this in the bud. The spec does talk about a "caption"
> but it only allows the <legend> element, not <caption>
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-figure
>
> I'd prefer <caption>, does it concern anyone else though?

http://www.reference.com/search?q=caption
#  A caption is a concise and descriptive bit of text that labels a picture,
chart, or table.

# Closed captioning is used to provide the text of a show's audio portion to
those who may have trouble hearing it.

# The caption of a lawsuit or other legal document refers to that portion of
the document containing the names of the parties and the case number.

http://www.reference.com/search?q=legend

And from http://en.mimi.hu/gis/legend.html

Legend
[Top]
The reference area on a map that lists and explains the colours, symbols,
line patterns, shadings, and annotation used on the map. The legend often
includes the scale, origin, orientation, and other map information.
Full article >>>

legend
The legend of a map (also called the key) is a small table accompanying the
map that explains the symbols that are used on the map.

Legend:
The part of the drawn map explaining the meaning of the symbols used to code
the depicted geographical elements.

legend 1. The reference area on a map that lists and explains the colors,
symbols, line patterns, shadings, and annotation used on the map. The legend
often includes the scale, origin, orientation, and other map information.
Full article >>>

Legend: An explanation of the symbols, codes, names given to variables and
other information appearing on a map drawing or chart.

The legend and margins of topographic quadrangles contain a myriad of other
useful information. Township and range designations, UTM coordinates, and
minute and second subdivisions are printed along the margins of the map.

I don't know about the rest of you but my whole life the only uses of
'legend' I've ever seen were on maps and financial/scientific charts,
graphs, and maps....and folklore and mythology....and that movie with the
big red demon and those huge horns.

--
::   thyme online ltd
::   po box cb13650  nassau  the bahamas