Re: "placeholder link"

At 16:09 +0200 UTC, on 2007-06-25, Simon Pieters wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:14:01 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:

[...]

> We can define the semantics for elements.

Right. But let's be honest, when you need to read someone else's HTML, seeing
<a> doesn't exactly immediately make you realise that it means <span>. HTML
is not for UA consumption only.

[...]

> HTML4 says:
>
>     Authors may also create an A element that specifies no anchors, i.e.,
>     that doesn't specify href, name, or id. Values for these attributes may
>     be set at a later time through scripts.
>
>       -- http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2

This says attribute *values* may be set later, not attributes.

[...]

>>> It's shorter than <span>
>>
>> I don't think three characters weigh up against the semantic argument.
>
> I agree that three characters are not much to worry about, but I don't
> understand the semantic argument.

I'm not sure how to explain it without just repeating myself, so for now I'll
give it a rest.

>>> and the stylesheet rules will be simpler.
>>
>> How?
[...]
>     menu a { display:block; border:solid; }
>     menu a:link { background:lime; }