Re: "placeholder link"

I agree and as a bonus this proposal is aligned with <a> in XHTML2
where its "identical in semantics to the span element."
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-hypertext.html#edef_hypertext_a

It's @href, @rel, etc. that make it meaningful. Omit them and you've
got a blank element (which you don't need to use if you don't want
to). I don't see it causing any issues though.