Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:40:56 +0200, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
wrote:
> Sure, but that's the easy bit. It's simply a decision about whether
> deprecating something means that it should no longer be supported or
> merely regarded as bad practice. You can take it both ways though;
> whilst I recognise the motivation for indicating that user agents
> should still support 'old' features, it's not a completely smooth
> approach. As we all know, a big problem for authors is that they tend
> to code HTML (and CSS) through trial and error, and the approach of
> HTML 5 will continue the confusion relating to what is
> browser-specific and what is in the spec.

If all browsers are required to support the same set of features in what
way will they be confused?

> But anyway, what about the other side of the equation? What about
> authors who use 'video' in a document, which finds its way to an older
> browser? There is nothing that can be done here within the language--a
> problem for both HTML 5 and XTML 2.

HTML as designed is forwards compatible so that if you add elements that
support fallback content that content will render in older browsers.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>