Re: Choosing name for XML serialization

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ok, so browsers will still be compatible, but the documents will not be
>> conforming anymore.
>
> I don't understand. Old documents wouldn't be any less conforming to their
> contemporary specifications than they are now. New documents would use the
> new features (e.g. CSS in place of align="").

HTML documents using the *style* attribute will not be conforming HTML5
documents (you seem to avoid the style attribute in this discussion :-).

>> To me, that seems like an extremely bad idea, potentially driving people
>> away from checking document conformance. On purpose?
>
> I don't really understand what you think the "bad idea" is.

It's a bad idea because it will only affect those people who actually
care about conformance (others won't notice the change), potentially
causing those people not to use HTML5 at all, or not to bother with
conformance checks anymore.

The style attribute (IMHO) is not broken, so it doesn't need to be
fixed. Adding the scoped style element is a separate topic (and a good
idea). Currently the WG spends an enormous time to discuss why certain
things have been changed from HTML4.01, and again and again we hear
"this only affects conformance, not browser implementations", as if the
conformance definition is unimportant.

Best regards, Julian