Re: About dropping the style attribute

On Jun 24, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:15:01 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie
> <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>> Also sprach Craig Francis:
>> The style element, when scoped to its parent, will be able to do this
>> -- and more -- but it is more verbose.
> The problem with the style= attribute, as opposed to the <style>
> element. Is that it encourages media specific style sheets. As the
> media for the style= attribute is automatically "all". It also does
> not allow for alternate style sheets. The <style> element in HTML5
> handles both. Having said that, I don't really care strongly either
> way.

I think the CSS3 WG on the style attribute syntax is actually a more
elegant  approach (and easier to understand for authors) than the
scoped style element. The scoped style element has a lot of
opportunities to be misunderstood by implementors and authors alike.
I don't think it adds anything that the CSS3 style attribute doesn't
already make possible (and some CSS3 is already being implemented by
some early-adopter implementations). In contrast, the changes to the
style attribute will be easy for everyone to understand.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css-style-attr-20020515>

Take care,
Rob