Re: Versioning re-visited (was : mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.)

On 21 Jun 2007, at 23:00, Philip & Le Khanh wrote:
> I would personally far prefer to continue with the more formal
> DOCTYPE/DTD specifier, as in
>
> 	<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 5.0 Strict//EN">
>
> assuming that we do indeed ultimately produced a DTD (yes, I know
> this is far from certain, but I for one would be very happy if
> HTML 5 continued to be based on SGML rather than apparently being
> designed /ex nihilo/).

I suppose one point I would like to raise is that the proposed
DOCTYPE does not show that it is a W3C specification... I am fairly
sure that, although the W3C is regarded as a pretty definative source
of standards, it cannot just take complete ownership of HTML...

Its entirely possible that another organisation (IEEE) could decide
to make their own HTML specification.