Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Incidentally, the XHTML2 WG keeps saying that they decided long ago
> to reuse the XHTML1 namespace, but the latest Editor's Draft I
> could find, from April 2007, still has a namespace that is
> different from XHTML1. Maybe they have made an internal change
> since then. I think the namespace is a bigger deal than the name of
> the XML serlaization.

In terms of namespace, XHTML2 more closely respects the namespace
than the current HTML5 draft. I expect will resolve that before we
reach public draft stage, but right now the HTML5 draft uses the same
element and attribute names to mean different things than in prior
versions of HTML and XHTML. The processing changes proposed for
XHTML2 are not related to namespace conflicts.

I would imagine the reaction of the XHTML2 WG is more to the name
XHTML5 that would have the effect (whether intended or not) of making
XHTML2 seem obsoleted. XHTML1.5 would get around that (while still
providing a link to HTML something like java 1.2/ J2EE 2).

Take care,
Rob