Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>> Not unsurprisingly, it seems that XHTML WG is not willing to give up or
>> at least share "XHTML" label:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2007/06/20-xhtml-minutes#item05
>>
>> "RESOLUTION: We agree that the HTML WG should not use the XHTML name to
>> refer to their XML serialization."
>
> I think we'll just have to use the name "XHTML" and the XHTML namespace
> and have this eventually settled by the Director.

But shouldn't this be resolved now rather then later? It will be quite
confusing to users if two groups will in parallel develop "future
version of XHTML" or "maintain XHTML namespace".

It really seems that with regard to XHTML name and XHTML namespace both
WG are not willing to agree on some compromise. Even when there are
approaches that IMHO should satisfy both groups (for example using
XHTML1.5 for XML serialization of HTML5, and use version attribute in
HTML5 and XHTML2 to differentiate between languages). Does W3C has some
process how to escalate such issue to the director or TAG?

> Given statements like
> the below, reasoned discussion seems unlikely to be productive:

I don't think that out of context citations taken from minutes are the
best way how to show that you want to reasonably discuss issues ;-)

Jirka

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz