Re: minor copy edits needed in HTML 5 draft (control over /TR/html5/ )

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:13:49 +0200, Michael A. Puls II
<shadow2531@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> Oh I'd be happy to publish a snapshot to http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/,
>> but that wasn't what was being requested.
>
> Yes, please. That would be awesome.

Seconded. Various stakeholders in the Web are slow to grasp the
lightweight public development model. Others find working in English
difficult. Both of these groups are often much better able to contribute
usefully through a more structured process of releasing drafts from time
to time, making proposals based on those drafts, and seeing a new draft
some time later. Getting that to happen before last call is a good way of
avoiding the endless last calls that can otherwise sap the energy of a
group and of the editors.

There is no reason why we can't have the best of both worlds. If a comment
comes on a 3-monthly TR draft that has been superseded by 30
every-other-daily editor's drafts, it will not necessarily have been
rendered irrelevant. And tracking changes across the TR drafts via a list
of changes made, rather than relying on people following the firehose of
information that the constant improvement cycle provides, is actually more
helpful for many of those people.

This is actually a specific request I have received from several partners
in Asia, who imagine that I have some influence over the process. I think
it makes sense, and except for the chore of making the change list between
each TR draft, which is a relatively small amount of additional work, I
think the overhead is almost negligible and the value is large.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com