Re: Note on terminology: Attribute types

On 6/12/07, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:
> > I think we will gain precision by using consistent, spec-wide
> > terminology to distinguish between DOM attributes
>
> I've usually seen these called "properties", precisely to distinguish them
> from
> element attributes...  Of course they're "attributes" in the IDL... :(

Not too big of a deal to me, but to me:

test is an attribute.

div.test = "me";

test is a property

div {
    test: "me";
}

test is a css property.

When DOM is mentioned, the first language I associate with it is
ECMAScript/Javascript.

Because of that, despite the IDL use of  "attribute" and other
languages, I personally would rather refer to DOM attributes as
properties and refer to Element attributes as attributes.

However, I don't think that'll fly with everyone, so using DOM
attribute and Element attribute  could clear things up.  (I understand
what a content attribute is referring to, but Element attribute sounds
much better.)

--
Michael