Re: Table accessibility (was Re: headers attribute)

On 2007-06-04 19:22:19 +0200 Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>> Does VoiceOver make use of the speech module of CSS?
>
> VoiceOver does use different tones and speaking speeds at times, but
> it does
> not support aural CSS.
>
>> For instance, it could seem natural to present the cell
>> associations
>> (which in HTML4 is not limited to header associations)  with another
>> voice
>> than the text of the actual cell one are  reading. Then users could
>> fast
>> get an overview of who the HEADERS  cells are, (without having to
>> listen to
>> TH cell coordinates etc).  Thus the user could hear the associated
>> header-like cells in a  different tone from the the cell he is
>> actually
>> reading.As such,  headers should be available for voice styling via
>> CSS.

[snip]

> Interesting idea but I don't think it would be especially helpful to
> VoiceOver in improving table support.

 From
<http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/software_jaws610fea.asp>:

New Voice for Table Headers

In Microsoft Word and Excel, JAWS now
reads row and column headers for tables in a different voice. To
change this voice, open the Set Options menu in Configuration Manager
and choose Voice Aliases. Select "HeaderVoice" and choose the Modify
button.
--
leif halvard silli