Re: [Fwd: Re: toward W3C Working Draft: design principles? spec? other? (survey)]

Bill,

The point about XHTML 1 rather than HTML 4 is that in W3C's terms the
current version of HTML is XHTML 1.0 and that HTML 4 is not a current
Recommendation.

Starting there does not say you cannot look at legacy implementations. All
it says is that you assess the needs of that legacy markup relative to
XHTML 1.

I don't think it is just one page that contains incorrect or illegal
markup. There is still a large amount of hand-written HTML out there. The
number of end tags you come across as </lo> is quite high but that is no
goos reason to include them as an alternative to </ol> although it would
be relatively easy to do.

Bob