Re: Do we need the restrictions on the <base> element?

On 4 Jun 2007, at 20:12, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

>> What is the actual real time delay caused by parsing the entire
>> <head> before one starts fetching?
>
> Doing that is not compatible with the way <script> elements need to
> be handled.  So it's not an option.

This seems to me a rather artificial limitation.

Isn't it possible to do a preparatory parse, just to determine the
base (and the charset) and then reiterate and do the actual work -
parsing text, downloading/starting scripts etc?

I think UA's have to do this anyway in order to support existing
content. I guess they will even do it with pages claiming to conform
to HTML5 in order to rescue pages that have the <base> element in the
"wrong" place.

--
Henrik Dvergsdal