Re: headers attribute

On 2007-06-02 11:18:46 +0200 Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:

> At 19:17 +0200 UTC, on 2007-06-01, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 02:22:03 +0200, Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl> wrote:
>>> At 04:03 +0200 UTC, on 2007-05-31, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> <http://webrepair.org/02strategy/03known%20systems.php> does.
>>
>> Where is the processing model for that defined? HTML4 seems to suggest
>> that scope= can be used instead of headers=, not in conjunction.
>
> I don't see where it says that. Granted, as with much else, HTML 4.01 is
> vague. The relevant remarks I see are "This attribute may be used in place of
> the headers attribute", at 11.2.6, and "Authors may choose to use this
> attribute instead of headers according to which is more convenient", at
> 11.4.1. Neither, to me, seems to say that authors are not allowed to use both
> (although now that you mention it, I can see that it might come across that
> way and might even be meant that way). From an authoring standpoint it makes
> sense to use both, because one UA might only support headers and another only
> scope. You reach a bigger audience by providing both. [...]

You only think of a situation where the UA can support _either_ SCOPE _or_ HEADERS. What if it supports both, as HTML4 quite clearly intends that UAs do (or else, authors could not choose «according to which is more convenient»)?

Can you imagine a situation where the screen reader first present the SCOPE view of who the header cells are, and then the HEADERS view of who they are?  That would be utterly confusing for users.
--
leif halvard sili