including sufficient authoring norms in the draft

Regarding the need for the draft to express norms in an author-
centric manner:

On Jul 31, 2007, at 5:52 AM, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> 2007/7/31, Robert Burns:
>> I thought I did. The unsigned integer, the signed integer, real
>> number, ratio METER, PROGRESS, TIME all have lengthy algorithms that
>> imply author conformance criteria without explicitly delineating the
>> author conformance criteria. There may be other places, but those are
>> the ones I've studied the most.
>
> I disagree wrt numbers:
>
> 3.2.3.1. Unsigned integers
> A string is a valid non-negative integer if it consists of one of more
> characters in the range U+0030 DIGIT ZERO (0) to U+0039 DIGIT NINE
> (9).
>
> 3.2.3.2. Signed integers
> A string is a valid integer if it consists of one of more characters
> in the range U+0030 DIGIT ZERO (0) to U+0039 DIGIT NINE (9),
> optionally prefixed with a U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS ("-") character.
>
> 3.2.3.3. Real numbers
> A string is a valid floating point number if it consists of one of
> more characters in the range U+0030 DIGIT ZERO (0) to U+0039 DIGIT
> NINE (9), optionally with a single U+002E FULL STOP (".") character
> somewhere (either before these numbers, in between two numbers, or
> after the numbers), all optionally prefixed with a U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS
> ("-") character.
>

> I must admit that ratios and "Vaguer moments in time" (aka "date or
> time", though not "Specific moments in time" which even comes with
> examples) suffer from the lack of such definitions.
>
> However, METER, PROGRESS and TIME elements come with some examples
> (too few, and they might be improved explaining how they would be
> interpreted (particularly true for the first METER examples)).

I agree completely with your assessment. I was working from memory. I
think signed integers, real numbers and unsigned integers are good.
Ratios, METER, PROGRESS and TIME could all use work.