Re: Use Cases for The <canvas> Element

On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:43 PM, James Graham wrote:

> Laura Carlson wrote:
>> I began adding info from this canvas element thread into the wiki.
>> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AddedElementCanvas
>> If you find anything that needs changing, please revise. Or if you
>> have further info please add it.
>
> Laura
>
> Perhaps this would work well as a multiple solution pro/con
> analysis like other proposals for the spec. Something with a
> structure like (I'm sure others can fill in many of the gaps caused
> by my ignorance):

I think that it is a good idea to provide a use-case/problem
statement page with solutions. This may be a good idea for providing
rationales for all of the facility changes in the current draft. I
also think it would not be a bad idea to include solution pages and
discuss how a certain solution addresses multiple problems / uses
(for either facilities in the current draft or proposed for future
drafts).

> Requirement:
> Simple script-driven drawing for rendering dynamic bitmap graphics
> on the fly.

I think the need is for graphics drawing of any kind: either bitmap
or vector. Obviously it al needs to be rasterized to the screen, but
there is a need for the drawing commands themselves should be more
flexible. Narrowing it to "dynamic bitmap graphics" needlessly
eliminates much of the authoring use-case.

> Use Cases:
> Charts - Plotkit + etc.
> Simple games -
> Mathematics -
> Decorative effects -
> etc.

For example, nearly all of these use-cases benefit from vector
drawing commands over bitmap drawing commands (except perhaps
decorative effects).

Take care,
Rob