Re: "Canonical" HTML5 and XHTML5 output

On Jul 24, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Cecil Ward wrote:

> I'd like to write an XSL transform that serialises XML (say with
> XHTML 1.0 Strict vocabulary for a start) to HTML5 or XHTML5 text.

I'm not sure what you would need to do here. In some sense XHTML5
would be a superset of XHTML1. You can simply transform nothing
except reduced the DocType down to "<!DOCTYPE HTML >". XSLT output to
HTML with the same DocType would also be sufficient. Especially if
you're starting from XHTML1 strict. Starting from a transitional
DocType would raise a few other issues (like <big>, <tt>).

> I don't have an XSLT processor that can generate HTML5 output, so
> I'll have to write my own (by using a transform to text).

Outputting as html should work (am i missing something?).

Take care,
Rob