Re: Subdocument fragments in a compound document (part of detailed review of documents and document framegents)

On Jul 17, 2007, at 10:04 AM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> XHTML5 currently allows a single element in a subdocument fragment:
> @type=xhtml invalid, as RFC4287 requires a single xhtml:div
> element. Is there any reason to disallow this? The logical thing
> would be to allow <html> for full document fragments, and <div> for
> body fragments.

I was thinking of raising similar issues for making HTML5 more
friendly for compound documents. I believe this relates only to the
xml serialization based on the current draft (though I guess that
doesn't have to be the case). A few things in addition to what
Geoffrey proposes. For embedded HTML in XML documents I think we
should make it explicit that:

* <head> and <bocy> elements may be omitted. This will simplify the
embedding of HTML within other namespace documents where the document
level metadata  is already handled the encompassing document

For embedding other namespaces within HTML5 we should make it
explicit: that

*  any attribute with an xmlns: prefix is permitted on the root
element: My understanding is that we would inherit this ability
simply by declaring our document an XML serialization However, I have
heard others argue that it is not permitted (perhaps because
validators erroneously throw up errors). Making it explicit will
remove the ambiguity

Take care,
Rob