Re: handling fallback content for still images

On 8 Jul 2007, at 1954, Jon Barnett wrote:

> Scott Lewis wrote:
> Some UAs do even today. In quick testing, serving an XHTML1 Strict
> document[1] with an application/xhtml+xml doctype resulted in:
>  - Safari 3 beta inserting the <tbody>
>  - Opera 9.21 not inserting the <tbody>
>  - Firefox 2.0.0.4 and 1.5.0.9 refusing to render the document
>  - IE 7.0.5730.11 rendering the document as if the <tbody> were
> inserted (I didn't check the DOM for it's presence)
>
> Did you see my test documents and my messages above? [1]  When
> parsed as HTML and rendered in standards-compliance mode, ALL
> browsers insert the <tbody> element.  When parsed as XML in
> standards compliance mode, no browsers insert the <tbody> element
> (this is expected), except IE which can't properly handle XHTML.
>
> This is not "wildly inconsistent".
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0472.html

I was looking at XHTML 1.0  Strict served as application/xhtml+xml.
Which is what Thomas was specifically talking about and your tests
didn't cover. I hadn't intended to be dismissive or disparaging of
your tests, I apologize if it came across that way.

FWIW, my copy of Safari 3 beta inserts the <tbody> into both of your
test pages.

scott.