Re: Fwd: <abbr>, <acronym> and initialisms

Matthew Raymond wrote, quote:
>    It wouldn't be harmful to read out acronyms by letter. In
> fact, with all the annoying quasi-acronyms flying around
> (XUL, XAML, PNG, MNG, et cetera), I'd prefer it.
unquote

beware of that for which you wish...

last century, when the XHTML activity was first announced,
on the w3c site, i spent a long time wondering what:

X H T M L T M

was...

i thought i knew what the X the H the T the M and the L
were, but i couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what
the terminal T and M stood for, until i listened to the
document source, and discovered that the terminal T and M
were marked as superscript, which i know to be a print
convention for representing a trademark assertion...

nor did i ever realize - because it was always read
character by character - why i18n was the abbreviation for
internationalization, until i was asked to join the a11y
project at the linux foundation, and suddenly realized
the unconventional convention behind the abbreviation.

on the web, NOTHING is self-evident.  the user should be
the one who decides how an expansion is expressed --
visually, aurally, tactilely -- but in order to do so, he
or she needs guidance, which can only be provided by
authors writing to a specification; in particular, an
attribute i've proposed for abbreviation markup,
"expressed-as", which is different and distinct from
"pronounced", which properly falls under the domain of
ACSS.

i have more concrete suggestions and opinions on this topic
to discuss, but i first need to clear the use of my member-
confidential posts on the topic of abbreviation markup to
the PF WG to this, a public list, or compile them into an
integrated whole.

gregory.

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net or gregory@ubats.org

skype: oedipusnj

sites: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
       http://ubats.org