Re: Why splitting HTML5 into several specs has failed to work (Was: Request for clarification on HTML 5 publication status)

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 16:18 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:08:21 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> wrote:
> > I note that the list of interconnected aspects above does *not* contain
> > the actual HTML5 document format :-).

> on parsing and navigation. And writing HTML depends on offline. This stuff
> has been said repeatedly on this mailing list already.

Indeed, it has:

[[
For example, the HTML parsing rules
are deeply integrated with the handling of <script> elements, due to
document.write(), and also are deeply integrated with the definition of
innerHTML. Scripting, in turn, is deeply related to the concept of
scripting contexts, which depends directly on the definition of the Window
object and browsing contexts, which, in turn, are deeply linked with
session history and the History object (which depends on the Location
object) and with arbitrary browsing context navigation (which is related
to hyperlinks and image maps) and its related algorithms (namely content
sniffing and encoding detection, which, to complete the circle, is part of
the HTML parsing algorithm).
]]
 -- Ian Hickson 14 Mar 2007
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0096.html

p.s. It's somewhere between wasteful and rude to say that something
has been discussed on this list without giving a pointer/excerpt.
It assumes that everyone reads and remembers everything. A healthy
group is always taking on new participants, and it's not reasonable
to expect new participants to read and memorize the entire archive.
I maintain an edited history of the group to encourage new
participants to read something like log(N) of the messages...
  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/#events

The tracker is also supposed to be a good way for new
participants to get an overview of the proceedings reasonably
quickly...
  http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/open

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E