From: James Graham [mailto:jgraham@opera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:37 AM
To: Kris Krueger
Cc: Anne van Kesteren; public-html-testsuite@w3.org
Subject: Re: Test harness requirements

On 04/20/2010 05:48 PM, James Graham wrote:

> * Support for asynchronous tests; many DOM methods are asynchronous
> and therefore a reliable way of testing asynchronous behaviour e.g.
> that a given event is fired, is needed. This also implies that it must
> be possible to time out tests it they fail to produce a result.

Just to add a little here, I think this is the most difficult design requirement. Cases that may need to be covered (I'm sure there are many
more):

* Event listener set by attribute fires

* Event listener set through DOM methods fires

* Properties of even in event listener are correct

* A certain event is fired as a consequence of some other code or some markup

* A certain set of events are fired in a specific order as a result of some other code or some markup

* A certain event fails to fire (subject to a timeout)

* A certain event fires exactly once (in some time period)

* A set of events fire within a certain interval

* Callback is fired in response to an operation

I'm not sure if it's OK just to test (some of) these things in an ad-hoc way but since asynchronous behaviour is an increasingly important part of the platform it would be nice if the framework covered at least common cases in a simple, reusable way.