Re: Formal objections to Encrypted Media Extensions

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:11 PM, Devin Ulibarri <devin@devinulibarri.com>
wrote:

> > I think we covered that ground pretty thoroughly then, and I suspect
> no-one will thank us for re-visiting it.
>
> I would be super-happy is this discussion were revisited. I represent
> other educators, my students, and my musician colleagues.

​I believe David was referring to the specific issue of a covenant for
security research, as proposed by the EFF, not the general issue of whether
W3C should publish EME.

> Can someone(s) please help me understand how EME will benefit the regular,
> but socially-minded, web user such as myself?

​Very generally, before EME, *if* you wished to use a website that employs
DRM ​- such as Netflix - you would be asked to install a plugin - such as
Adobe Flash or Microsoft Silverlight. EME offers such sites the opportunity
to migrate to a different model, in which the DRM component is integrated
with their browser and is constrained in various ways defined by the
specification.

A major advantage to users is that in the EME model, some DRMs can take
advantage of hardware accelerated video decoding, greatly extending battery
life while watching video. In the near future, you will be able to play 4K
video from such sites, the security for which the plugin model would not
have supported. There are other advantages with respect to security and
privacy, compared to the plugin model.

EME is a technical refactoring of functionality which already existed on
the web and will facilitate the eventual deprecation of plugins altogether.
Personally, I don't consider such practical engineering work as
representing some kind of statement on the various political issues that
have been raised, but obviously some people do.

...Mark