Re: Custom and extending CDM to support other DRM systems

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Emmanuel Poitier <emmanuel.poitier@enman.fr
> wrote:

>  All,
>
> I am currently looking after the information on how to extend the CDM to
> support other DRM systems, which is nowadays fixed and hardcoded for each
> browsers (IE with PlayReady, Chrome with Widevine, Safari with FairPlay).
> It would be nice to ensure the EME spec does provide information and also
> how browsers would support that in an agnostic manner to ensure a non
> fragmented market where the user does want to play a protected video
> content whatever the browser he is using.

I doubt if anything has changed on this front, but this type of
specification was ruled out of scope for EME. EME uses the term and concept
"CDM" only in a notional manner, and does not specify any concrete
interface to such a component.

It is likely that interface and any mechanism for adding/extending UA
supplied CDMs will remain UA specific, that is, until some organization
steps forward to standardize it (assuming UA vendors are willing to do
that... a dubitable proposition).