HTML5 MSE support for HEVC on Android

From: Stefan Lederer <stefan.lederer@bitmovin.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:12:02 +0100
To: public-html-media@w3.org
Dear all,

I don't know if this is the proper list for that: (if not please advise me
which would be a better place to raise this question, already tried it on
chromium-discuss)

I want to use HEVC content on Chrome for Android on a Nexus 5 phone using
MPEG-DASH and the HTML5 MSE.

·         Playing plain HEVC mp4 files in Chrome/Android/Nexus5 works fine,
e.g. this one: http://www.bitmovin.net/hevc/720p.mp4

·         But playing an HEVC DASH stream doesn't work, as the MSE doesn't
support the content type: "NotSupportedError: Failed to execute
'addSourceBuffer' on 'MediaSource': The type provided ('video/mp4;
codecs=hvc1.1.c.L93.90') is unsupported.". I'm using this stream:
http://www.dash-player.com/demo/streaming-server-and-encoder-support/?mpd=http://bitcdn-vix1.bitmovin.net/content/hevc/dashevc-live-2s.mpd

Is the error caused by a wrong codec attribute or is the HTML5 MSE on
Chrome for Android just not (yet) supporting HEVC on HEVC-enabled Android
devices?

Thanks and best regards,

Stefan