Re: Secure release and persistence

While I welcome further clarification on Netflix's feature, I object to
further specifying it in the spec for the reasons described in issue 45
[1], specifically [2]. There is still no data justifying the need to add
this new requirement to all implementations nor has there been
consideration of available alternatives. Both are important prerequisites
for adding features to the web platform. Furthermore, Netflix's stated use
case - whether mentioned in the spec or not - requires a fundamental
violation of the web platform architecture: the CDM/media stack delaying
application shutdown.

Based on these important concerns, clear lack of consensus, continuing
confusion about this feature even among the editors [3], and lack of data
or experimentation, it is still too early to include this in the spec and
require it of all implementations.

Even with Mark’s description below, there is still confusion about this
feature [3]. I propose the following next steps for Mark’s feature request:
1. Mark clearly defines (all) use case(s) for this feature (perhaps in the
wiki or a doc).
2. Mark clearly defines the feature he is requesting (perhaps in the wiki
or a doc).
3. Mark provides justification for adding this feature, including data on
alternatives considered and experimented with as well as user benefit of
this feature over alternatives.
4. The group discusses and attempts to reach consensus on a solution for #1.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/45
[2] https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues/45#issuecomment-91743387
[3] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2015Apr/0067.html

David

P.S.
"Record of license destruction" was only intended for “persistent-license”,
but it is similarly restrictive for implementations. I’ll change it to
something like "persist an invalidation of the license." Other wording
suggestions welcome.