Re: Media Task Force F2F meeting at HTML WG F2F, Santa Clara, Oct 30-31

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Vickers, Mark <
Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com> wrote:

>   On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
>  wrote:
>
>>             Please reply to this thread and indicate your attendance
>> plans and/or if you support the TF meeting F2F on Fri Oct 31 AM.
>>
>   I will be attending both days and I’m fine with the Media TF meeting
> either day.
>

> On Sep 29, 2014, at 2:57 PM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com> wrote:
>
>  I wasn't planning on attending TPAC unless there was a strong desire to
> meet F2F for MSE. As far as I can tell people are just heads down
> implementing and filing bugs when they run into issues.
>

>  I don’t want to slow down the implementations (!), but there are some
> big issues to discuss in each spec, particularly the EME HTTPS issue (bug
> 26332) and the MSE seamless splicing issue (bug 19673 et. al.). The F2F
> would seem convenient and timely to discuss these.

I'm not going to comment on EME. I realize there is much to discuss on that
front, but I don't need/want to be part of that conversation.

Bug 19673 is resolved and all followup bugs were either resolved or
deferred to a v2(i.e. post PR). The goal was to get basic splicing
supported by all implementations first and then refine it in followup
versions of the spec if necessary. I don't think it makes sense to change
things until implementations actually support what is currently specified
since that seems like a minimal splicing bar. If we can't do that
interoperably then there really isn't much point to specifying something
more complicated.

There is currently only 1 open bug
<https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&list_id=44664&namedcmd=open%20MSE%20bugs>
against
MSE CR at the moment and I anticipate it to be resolved before TPAC so I
don't really see any point in attending right now. I still don't plan on
attending TPAC, unless there are bugs filed against MSE that we actually
plan on resolving for CR and they require significant realtime discussion.
At a minimum, I think this means that any new issues would need to be filed
and discussed on at least one Media TF call before TPAC.

Aaron