Re: [MSE] F2F discussion items

On Apr 28, 2014, at 20:27 , Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Some data points/questions below.
>
>> Quantity:          Zero or more
>
> Does this mean that more than one "kind" box can be associated with a
> single track? A given timed text track can serve multiple purposes,
> e.g. both SDH and subtitle, and hence be associated with multiple
> kinds.

OK.  But on the mpeg list there was exactly the opposite suggestion, that there be only one box.

>> contains the track ‘kind’ as defined <<by the W3C spec //
>> section X of this spec. // whatever .>>.
>
> Also, the 'kind' defined in HTML might not be sufficient alone to
> cover common kinds of timed text out there, e.g. 'commentary',
> 'large'/'Text for the Visually Impaired', 'easyreader', 'karaoke',
> etc…

There has to be some agreement what the kinds mean;  we can’t have random communities inventing kinds and then finding they use the same word with different meanings.  I think that the w3c needs to document them, and if you are not in the w3c’s spec/radar, you are on your own.

>> Container:        User data box (‘udta’)
>
> At least one specification (Ultraviolet) use the 'name' field of the
> 'hdlr' box to carry a comma-separated list of kinds for the timed text
> track.

That’s inappropriate, I think.  And strange.