{agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2014-04-01 - EME bug discussion

The HTML WG media teleconference meeting will occur on 2014-04-01 for up to 60 minutes from 15:00Z to 16:00Z.


Tokyo midnight, Amsterdam/Oslo 17:00, London/Dublin 16:00, New Jersey/York 11:00, Kansas City 10:00, Seattle/San Francisco 08:00.

Chair of the meeting: Paul Cotton

Scribe: TBD

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes

Mar 18: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Mar/0033.html

Mar 4: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Mar/0013.html

3. Review of action items and issues


a) ACTION-61: Work with wendy to make sure we get a security review [ Paul ]


Status: Paul reached out to Wendy again on Jan 23:


b) ACTION-62: Report back about the plan for 20944 due 2013-12-15 [ Paul ]


Status: No action yet but see developments on 20944:


and subsequent replies.

4. EME status and bugs

a) Encrypted Media Extensions editor's draft


Last updated on Mar 25.

b) Encrypted Media Extensions bugs:


Status as of Mar 31: 28 bugs

5. NEW EME bugs since the last meeting - Part 1

a) [NEW] Bug 25199 - EME should use Promises


Status: Blocks: 17750 21798 24081 24216 24771.

b) Bug 17750 - Define the behavior MediaKeySession close() and clearing the keys attribute


See recent response from Adrian since Feb 18 meeting:


Mar 4: Adrian agreed to implement this change.  Depends on 25199.

c) Bug 21798 - Revisit MediaKeyError codes


Status from Mar 4: David said he would make a proposal. Depends on 21599

d) Bug 24081 - The READY state is too limiting and should be more like the PENDING state


Next action: TF to discuss David's proposal (Microsoft is supportive)

Status from Jan 28 meeting: David to implement his proposal. Depends on 21599.

e) Bug 24216 - setMediaKeys() needs more specification


David agreed to develop a proposal:


Status: Depends on 21599.

f) Bug 24771 - Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime (including when events are guaranteed to be fired)


Status from Mar 18: Microsoft will review and enter their position.  Depends on 25199.

6. NEW EME bugs since the last meeting - Part 2

a) Bug 25092 - Need a way to inform script that resolution restrictions are applied


b) Bug 25200 - Add optional "licenseType" parameter to createSession()


Status:  See Joe's response:


and original thread:

[EME] Persistent license


c) Bug 25201 - Add ability to preemptively provide a server certificate


d) Bug 25217 - Add ability to specify license domain for key requests


e) Bug 25218 - Allow license management directly via MediaKeySession


7. Implemented EME bugs with review comments

a) Bug 18515 - Provide more details on behavior of the media element when the key for an encrypted block is not available


Implemented and awaiting review:


See David's comments:


8. EME bugs for discussion - Part 1

a) Bug 24951 - Use a simple string to identify the initData format instead of a MIME/content type


Status from Mar 18: Assigned to Adrian. Blocks: 17673 24673 24873.

b) Bug 24673 - Make all content type string checks case-sensitive


Status from Mar 4: Depends on bug 24591.

c) Bug 24873 - Current isTypeSupported() definition does not provide sufficient information to applications


Mar 18: David agreed to implement the proposed change.  Depends on 24951.

d) Bug 17673 - Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the ISO Base Media File Format


Mar 4: Adrian agreed to implement this change.  Depends on Bug 24951. Blocks: 17682 24027

e) Bug 17682 - Clear Key: Document how keys and key IDs are associated


Next action: David to add note. Blocks bug 24419.  Depends on 17673.

f) Bug 24027 - Define a generic Initialization Data solution for ISO Base Media File Format and/or Common Encryption (will be used by Clear Key)


Status from Mar 18: David and John Simmons offered to review this bug. Depends on 17673.

g) Bug 24419 - Clear Key: Define license request format


Status from Mar 4: Depends on 17682 which has an action pending on David.

9. EME bugs for discussion - Part 2

a) Bug 24874 - Positive isTypeSupported() may be misleading (MSE vs. .src=)


Status from Mar 18: Jerry Smith offered to review this bug.

10. Implemented EME bugs awaiting review

a) Bug 24270 - Make MediaKeySession State Definitions and Event Summary sections non-normative


b) Bug 24323 - Rename "First Time a Key Reference is Encountered" algorithm and remove key ID checks from Container Guidelines subsections


c) Bug 24368 - Define playback behavior when the key for an encrypted block is not available for a subset of streams


d) Bug 23619 - Change MediaKeyError to extend DOMError and use strings for error names


Resolved as FIXED at Mar 4 meeting.

e) Bug 17202 - Explicitly document how keys are to be shared


11. EME bugs awaiting Editor implementation or action

a) Bug 23828 - HTMLSourceElement with |keySystem| attribute should create MediaKeys object for |keySystem|


Next action: Adrian to make changes (low priority - see 23827)

b) Bug 24026 - Document that URLs (destinationURL) should/may be validated and/or normalized


Next action: David to add proposed text (to bug or spec)

c) Bug 24904 - Uint8Array parameters should not be modifiable after method calls return


See also the thread at:


Mar 18: David agreed to implement the proposed change.

12. EME bugs on hold or lower priority

a) Bug 20944 - EME should do more to encourage/ensure CDM-level interop


Next action: ACTION-62 on Paul

b) Bug 23827 - Need to add features at risk prior to entry into Candidate Recommendation


Next action: wait until LC

c) Bug 24025 - Add optional configuration parameter to MediaKeys constructor


Next action: discuss as part of 24082 below. Tied to the general extensibility issue.

Mark added his use case on Feb 18:


d) Bug 24082 - Several issues discussed in the TF point to the need for defined extensibility points in EME


Next action: TF agreed that members need to propose use cases - not blocking and lower priority

e) Bug 24322 - Reorganize spec by object


Next action: significant editorial change just needs editing - not blocking

13. Any other business

14. Chair and Scribe for next meeting

15. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge:

   +1.617.761.6200, conference 63342 ("media")


Supplementary IRC chat (logged):

   #html-media on irc.w3.org port 6665 or port 80 Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada

17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3

Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329

Received on Tuesday, 1 April 2014 01:03:26 UTC