Re: Formal Objection to Working Group Decision to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Fri, 31 May 2013 01:45:11 +0100, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
wrote:

>> IANAL, but I think that thanks to Silverlight's NPAPI today I can write
>> my own browser that plays Netflix without violating the DMCA,
>

> Except that it's not your browser that would be playing the content,

 From user perspective that isn't any different from CDM playing the
content.

However, with NPAPI at least I'm free to change the browser. Lack of EME
CDM spec takes that freedom away.

> it would be Microsoft Silverlight, which doesn't work on many platforms
> anyway.

I don't see why CDMs would be any less problematic in this area.

It seems to me that (lack of) availability of plug-ins is mostly dictated
by business/strategic/ideological reasons (FOSS being commercially
unviable, Apple not wanting Android to have iTunes compatibility, etc.)
and mere change of plug-in interface by EME is incapable of solving those
problems.

--
regards, Kornel