Re: [EME] specification question: key and media element asssociation usage confusion

initData is (likely) only used to obtain the keys when playback starts (or
a new stream/section/track is encountered). The initData, sessions, and EME
methods are only used for key exchange and session management. At decrypt
time, which is internal to the UA/CDM and unrelated to the EME methods, the
CDM only has a key ID for a frame/block and a set of key ID-key pairs.

By association, I meant some relationship between a session/keys and the
media element that needs to use it/them at decrypt time. "Strong
association" was an informal term referring to a permanent association
between a session/keys and some "collection" or the media element itself.

A permanent association is probably not that important to applications, but
we believe it makes UA/CDM implementation easier, or at least allows a
wider variety of designs. Specifically, it allows building a group of
sessions/keys in a single object, table, etc. rather than having to search
through sessions/keys in a global/shared object or multiple objects when
looking for the key ID for a frame/block.

The permanent association can be with the media element, as in proposal #1,
or another object that can be (non-permanently) associated with the media
element.