RE: Alternate syntax for defining class attribute

I cannot see significant value in this proposal; having written a
considerable number of HTML documents and web applications, I cannot say
I have seen the class attribute as a problem. However, even if I did see
it a problem, this particular solution does, I believe, have a number of
issues:

Firstly, I'm not sure the syntax is valid SGML or XML - the two
serializations that HTML5 supports (I'm assuming the "HTML"
serialization is based upon SGML, like HTML 4 was).

Secondly, there would be a significant problem with
backwards-compatibility. I've just tried using one of these "hybrid"
tags in Firefox 3.6, and IE8 - neither of them recognised "<h1.test>" as
a "<h1>" tag - possibly making documents using them completely
unreadable in current browsers (and to anyone who thinks this is
unimportant as "everybody will have the latest browser installed" - I
know of many institutions, including my own employer, that still has IE6
on the desktop).

Thirdly, there's the mixing of semantics and presentation - something
that the CSS aimed to separate. The tag's name (which, as far as I
understand, is every valid identifier character up to the first
whitespace, or the end of the tag, whichever comes first) defines its
purpose, not its presentation.

Finally, a further thought on tag names: the element's start and end
tags are, I believe, required to have the same name. Thus, a hybrid tag
would only save on typing only if a single class name was shorter than 7
characters.

Is 2 characters short of its "traditional format":  <span
class="nifty">something</span>

Is 4 characters longer than: <span class="embellished">something</span>

Jason L. Musgrove

Web Application Developer

University of Wolverhampton